Panchayat lets off rapists; victim commits suicide
Ghaziabad: A 13-year-old gangrape victim allegedly committed suicide after she was not allowed to file a police complaint by the local Panchayat, who reportedly let off the rapists with a mere warning.
The girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself with a dupatta in her house in Garhmukteshwar town under Panchsheel Nagar district, 70 km from here, last evening, police said.
The victim was allegedly gangraped by three youths on Wednesday when she had gone to attend a wedding, they said.
When she complained to her parents, they took the matter to the Panchayat, officials said, adding, the Panchayat allegedly did not allow the girl to file a police complaint and let off the accused with a mere warning.
Depressed over the incident, the girl committed suicide last evening, after which locals protested against police and the Panchayat for allegedly protecting the accused and demanded immediate action against them.
Investigation in the matter is on, police said.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched