Panchayat lets off rapists; victim commits suicide
Ghaziabad: A 13-year-old gangrape victim allegedly committed suicide after she was not allowed to file a police complaint by the local Panchayat, who reportedly let off the rapists with a mere warning.
The girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself with a dupatta in her house in Garhmukteshwar town under Panchsheel Nagar district, 70 km from here, last evening, police said.
The victim was allegedly gangraped by three youths on Wednesday when she had gone to attend a wedding, they said.
When she complained to her parents, they took the matter to the Panchayat, officials said, adding, the Panchayat allegedly did not allow the girl to file a police complaint and let off the accused with a mere warning.
Depressed over the incident, the girl committed suicide last evening, after which locals protested against police and the Panchayat for allegedly protecting the accused and demanded immediate action against them.
Investigation in the matter is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what