Panchayat lets off rapists; victim commits suicide
Ghaziabad: A 13-year-old gangrape victim allegedly committed suicide after she was not allowed to file a police complaint by the local Panchayat, who reportedly let off the rapists with a mere warning.
The girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself with a dupatta in her house in Garhmukteshwar town under Panchsheel Nagar district, 70 km from here, last evening, police said.
The victim was allegedly gangraped by three youths on Wednesday when she had gone to attend a wedding, they said.
When she complained to her parents, they took the matter to the Panchayat, officials said, adding, the Panchayat allegedly did not allow the girl to file a police complaint and let off the accused with a mere warning.
Depressed over the incident, the girl committed suicide last evening, after which locals protested against police and the Panchayat for allegedly protecting the accused and demanded immediate action against them.
Investigation in the matter is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton