Panchayat lets off rapists; victim commits suicide
Ghaziabad: A 13-year-old gangrape victim allegedly committed suicide after she was not allowed to file a police complaint by the local Panchayat, who reportedly let off the rapists with a mere warning.
The girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself with a dupatta in her house in Garhmukteshwar town under Panchsheel Nagar district, 70 km from here, last evening, police said.
The victim was allegedly gangraped by three youths on Wednesday when she had gone to attend a wedding, they said.
When she complained to her parents, they took the matter to the Panchayat, officials said, adding, the Panchayat allegedly did not allow the girl to file a police complaint and let off the accused with a mere warning.
Depressed over the incident, the girl committed suicide last evening, after which locals protested against police and the Panchayat for allegedly protecting the accused and demanded immediate action against them.
Investigation in the matter is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez