Panchayat lets off rapists; victim commits suicide
Ghaziabad: A 13-year-old gangrape victim allegedly committed suicide after she was not allowed to file a police complaint by the local Panchayat, who reportedly let off the rapists with a mere warning.
The girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself with a dupatta in her house in Garhmukteshwar town under Panchsheel Nagar district, 70 km from here, last evening, police said.
The victim was allegedly gangraped by three youths on Wednesday when she had gone to attend a wedding, they said.
When she complained to her parents, they took the matter to the Panchayat, officials said, adding, the Panchayat allegedly did not allow the girl to file a police complaint and let off the accused with a mere warning.
Depressed over the incident, the girl committed suicide last evening, after which locals protested against police and the Panchayat for allegedly protecting the accused and demanded immediate action against them.
Investigation in the matter is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!