Panchayat polls: SC stays HC deadline to Maya govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed an Allahabad High Court order directing Uttar Pradesh government to issue a notification for panchayat bodies` elections in the state before December 19.
A three-judge bench of justices Altamas Kabir, S S Nijjar
and J Chalameshwar granted two more months to the state
government to complete the formalities and extended the time
limit to February 11 next year.
The apex court passed the order on an appeal filed by the
state challenging the December 5 direction of the Allahabad
High Court which had, in a hard hitting judgement, asked the
State Election Commission to approach the Governor if the
state government failed to comply with its direction.
Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman today appeared for UP
government to assail the High Court order and pleaded that the
state be given at least 60 to complete the formalities.
The High Court had directed the state to "complete all
necessary formalities by working round the clock within a
period of ten days or maximum by December 18".
The High Court had warned that "in case no notification
is issued, the state election commission shall send a report
to the Governor of UP who may proceed to uphold the
constitution in accordance with law."
Challenging the order, the state government moved the
Supreme Court contending the High Court has gone too far in
issuing the mandamus to do everything within a period of 10
days ignoring the request of the the state for grant of 45
days` time required to complete the process of ward-wise
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail