Paper mills shut due to Maha Kumbh
Muzaffarnagar: Eight paper mills in the district have been closed for an indefinite period to prevent pollution in the river Ganga during the ongoing Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, official sources said here on Tuesday.
The district authorities have taken the step to prevent pollution in the Ganga river.
In Kanpur also, the district administration had yesterday asked over 350 tanneries to neither use water at their units nor release their effluents into River Ganga till the pilgrimage is in progress.
The directive is aimed to provide pilgrims at the Kumbh Mela a clean and unpolluted river when they take a holy dip in its waters, an official said.
The Kumbh mela which started yesterday will end on March 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra