Parties get together to rally for division of Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Members of various political parties, including the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), will meet here on Saturday to launch a joint movement for the division of Uttar Pradesh into smaller states.
Spearheading the agitation would be the RLD, which is demanding a separate Harit Pradesh comprising western Uttar Pradesh districts; the Bundelkhand Vikas Sena (BVS), which wants a Bundelkhand state including seven districts of Uttar Pradesh and six of Madhya Pradesh; and the Purvanchal Vikas Parishad (PVP) which wants a separate state carved out of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We decided to launch the agitation as a part of our strategy to mount joint pressure on the state government so that it tables a resolution for the division of Uttar Pradesh," RLD state spokesperson Ram Asrey Verma told reporters Friday.
"A number of political and non-political outfits favouring the division of Uttar Pradesh will come on the same platform," he added.
The argument is that smaller states will result in better development.
"The only solution to all problems -- poverty, hunger, lack of development and non-existent infrastructure in parts of Uttar Pradesh -- is its division," said BVS chief Harish Kapoor.
"After a survey in 1949, the States Reorganisation Commission (SRC) had laid stress on the necessity of a separate and autonomous Bundelkhand. The time has come for us to join hands for the development of our respective regions," he added.
Following the central government`s green signal for a separate Telangana state, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati has already made her stance clear.
According to her, the further partition of Uttar Pradesh would "ultimately be in the larger interest of providing better governance, besides of course living up to the expectations of the people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!