Parties get together to rally for division of Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Members of various political parties, including the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), will meet here on Saturday to launch a joint movement for the division of Uttar Pradesh into smaller states.
Spearheading the agitation would be the RLD, which is demanding a separate Harit Pradesh comprising western Uttar Pradesh districts; the Bundelkhand Vikas Sena (BVS), which wants a Bundelkhand state including seven districts of Uttar Pradesh and six of Madhya Pradesh; and the Purvanchal Vikas Parishad (PVP) which wants a separate state carved out of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We decided to launch the agitation as a part of our strategy to mount joint pressure on the state government so that it tables a resolution for the division of Uttar Pradesh," RLD state spokesperson Ram Asrey Verma told reporters Friday.
"A number of political and non-political outfits favouring the division of Uttar Pradesh will come on the same platform," he added.
The argument is that smaller states will result in better development.
"The only solution to all problems -- poverty, hunger, lack of development and non-existent infrastructure in parts of Uttar Pradesh -- is its division," said BVS chief Harish Kapoor.
"After a survey in 1949, the States Reorganisation Commission (SRC) had laid stress on the necessity of a separate and autonomous Bundelkhand. The time has come for us to join hands for the development of our respective regions," he added.
Following the central government`s green signal for a separate Telangana state, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati has already made her stance clear.
According to her, the further partition of Uttar Pradesh would "ultimately be in the larger interest of providing better governance, besides of course living up to the expectations of the people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray