Parties to pay for damage to property during demo: UP govt
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday said that heads of political parties would be penalised
for damage to public or private property during
demonstrations, processions and strikes.
In an order issued today, it provided guidelines on
organising such events either by political parties or social
"Often such programmes are organised by organisations,
political parties and residents in the state. Though peaceful
organisation is a democratic right, but at times such events
take violent turn resulting into anarchy and inconvenience to
people," Principal Secretary (Home) Kunwar Fateh Bahadur told
He said that in compliance with orders passed by the
Supreme Court and the High Court from time to time, the
state government has passed an order to check violence and
loss of property.
"In case of damage to public or private property,
compensation would be realised from the organisers and legal
action be taken. In case of political party it will be the
responsibility of the district, state and national
presidents," he said.
Bahadur said that in case of non-payment of
compensation, it would be realised like land revenue.
"As per the order, those organising demonstrations,
dharnas, strikes or processions should first consult police
and administration and then decide the place, route, time and
parking," the principal secretary said.
He said that the organisers would be required to give
an undertaking that their agitation would be peaceful.
Bahadur said carrying fire-arms would be prohibited
and videography of the event would be done by the district
"To maintain communal and caste harmony, contempt of
saints, gurus and leaders or any damage to their statue,
museum, institute or religious place will not be allowed," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price
- Kotak Mahindra Bank to raise Rs 5,000 cr via bonds