PCI committee to probe incidents to violence in Faizabad
New Delhi: A Press Council of India (PCI) committee, set up to probe an attack on a religious place and a media house in Faizabad in Uttar Pradesh, would now also inquire into other similar incidents in the rest of the district and nearby areas.
A decision to this effect was taken today by PCI chairperson Justice (retd) Markandey Katju.
In a letter to Katju earlier in the day, activist Teesta Setalvad said that while PCI had promptly set up a one-member inquiry committee to probe the incident in Faizabad last month, there had been reports of more such happenings.
In her letter, Setalvad said that to comprehensively understand the developments, PCI committee should look into the other incidents as well.
Following Setalvad`s letter, Katju directed that Sheetla Singh, Member of PCI and editor of Jan Morcha of Faizabad, who was inquiring into the incident, should also look into the other related happenings.
"The scope of the enquiry being held by him is extended to the whole of Faizabad district and other nearby areas affected by the incidents. The administration should extend all cooperation to Shri Sheetla Singh," Katju said.
Earlier, Setalvad had referred to reports that a religious place was gutted and destroyed by vandals as also the office of bilingual Hindi-Urdu publication `Aap ki Taaqat` which was on its first floor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list