People defy NDMC ban, pray at mosque ruin site
New Delhi: Defying a ban imposed by municipal corporation, a large number of people Friday offered prayers at a central Delhi location where ruins of an ancient mosque was discovered recently.
Devotees led by local MLA Shoib Iqbal started thronging Subhash Park, near the Red Fort, from morning and offered namaz at the structure. As the park was full of people, some people offered prayers on the nearby roads.
The North Delhi Municipal Corporation had yesterday refused to grant permission for carrying out any religious activity at the spot, where the ruins of Mughal-era Akbarabadi mosque is believed to have been discovered early this month during Delhi Metro work.
Earlier, the civic body had also banned any construction at the site and warned that anybody indulging in construction was liable to prosecution as the said land belongs to the municipal body following which such activities went to a halt.
A senior NDMC official said they have not changed its mind on the issue so far and the top officials will soon meet to discuss what action should be taken against people who have defied the ban.
Heavy police presence was witnessed in the area to prevent any untoward incident and the roads leading to the Red Fort were barricaded.
Authorities had held a series of meeting yesterday to review the situation. Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna and Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had instructed police to ensure that no untoward incident take place.
There was a suggestion during a meeting which Khanna had convened yesterday that the Sub-Divisional Magistrate take over the area, but NDMC objected to it saying it had already taken control of the location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city