New Delhi: Defying a ban imposed by municipal corporation, a large number of people Friday offered prayers at a central Delhi location where ruins of an ancient mosque was discovered recently.
Devotees led by local MLA Shoib Iqbal started thronging Subhash Park, near the Red Fort, from morning and offered namaz at the structure. As the park was full of people, some people offered prayers on the nearby roads.
The North Delhi Municipal Corporation had yesterday refused to grant permission for carrying out any religious activity at the spot, where the ruins of Mughal-era Akbarabadi mosque is believed to have been discovered early this month during Delhi Metro work.
Earlier, the civic body had also banned any construction at the site and warned that anybody indulging in construction was liable to prosecution as the said land belongs to the municipal body following which such activities went to a halt.
A senior NDMC official said they have not changed its mind on the issue so far and the top officials will soon meet to discuss what action should be taken against people who have defied the ban.
Heavy police presence was witnessed in the area to prevent any untoward incident and the roads leading to the Red Fort were barricaded.
Authorities had held a series of meeting yesterday to review the situation. Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna and Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had instructed police to ensure that no untoward incident take place.
There was a suggestion during a meeting which Khanna had convened yesterday that the Sub-Divisional Magistrate take over the area, but NDMC objected to it saying it had already taken control of the location.