People in UP deprived of benefits of Food Security Act: Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday slammed the SP-led UP government over non-implementation of Food Security Act in the state, saying the state government was "depriving" people of the benefits of the scheme.
"The Uttar Pradesh government says it will implement the Act after the elections, which means that till that time the people of the state would be deprived of its benefit," the Congress general secretary said here.
The local MP was on a tour of his parliamentary constituency today. He held `chaupal` (meetings) in villages and criticised the Samajwadi Party government for poor state of roads and power in Amethi.
Rahul, who reached Amethi by road from Lucknow, interacted with the people at Tedhai, Thara, Shivratanganj, Paware, Semrauta, Kotwa, Mehmanpur and Sattan Ka Purwa villages and held `chaupals`.
During `chaupals` he asked people about the food security and said that except Uttar Pradesh the Act has been implemented all over the country, sources said.
"Under the new law, poor families would get 25 kg food-grain every month," he said.
"The central government sent money to the state for development. Work of road, electricity and others has to be done by the state government.
"We can only create pressure, which we do and will continue to do in future as well," he said.
When a local Congress MLA attracted Rahul`s attention towards poor condition of roads in Kotwa, Mehmanpur and Sattan Ka Purwa, constructed during the time of Rajiv Gandhi, the Congress leader said that he would make efforts to get them repaired.
On November 22, the UP government had said that it has prepared a road map to implement the National Food Security Act and a cell has also been formed in the Food Commissioner`s office to work on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead