People protest tiger deaths in Jim Corbett
Aligarh: Anger over recent tiger deaths in
the Jim Corbett National Park spilled over on to the streets
of Ramnagar town adjoining the park, where a large number of
people staged a demonstration on the matter.
Local residents and wildlife conservationists came
together under a common platform, the `Baagh Bachao Sangharsh
Samiti`, and sent a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, asking him to institute a high-level probe into the
recent tiger deaths. The memorandum pointed out that four
tigers had died in the heart of the national park in the past
The first incident was reported on December 13 near
`Thandi Sarak` falling under the Khilanoli Forest Range. The
lastest tiger death was recorded on January 11, this year near
Gujjar Soth under Dhikala Forest Division, which led to the
protest on Monday.
Samiti spokesman Rajesh Bhatt said today over
telephone, "We are not convinced by the official explanation
that all these tiger deaths are natural keeping in mind their
A local conservationist alleged that there had been a
decline in the level of protection in the national park and if
immediate steps were not taken, then "Corbett too could be
heading the Sariska way".
When contacted, the director of the park Ranjan Mishra
said, "The first three incidents were natural deaths and
the forensic report for the latest killing has still not been
National Tiger Conservation Authority chief Rajesh Gopal
rushed to the park yesterday and was present when forensic
tests were conducted on the latest big cat which died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore