Permission sought to prosecute BSP MLA
Meerut: The Uttar Pradesh Police has
sought permission to prosecute ruling BSP MLA Haji Yaqoob
Qureshi in a 2006 case for announcing a reward for killing the
Danish cartoonist who drew caricatures of Prophet Mohammed.
Yaqoob Qureshi, then a minister, had announced a cash
reward of Rs 51 crore for beheading Danish cartoonist Kurt
Westergaard on February 17, 2006.
A complaint was registered against Qureshi for making
derogatory remarks against Westergaard in Delhi Gate Police
Station in Meerut.
The Special Investigation Team of the Police, which
conducted an inquiry into the complaint, found Qureshi guilty
of making derogatory remarks against the Danish cartoonist.
Meerut DIG JN Singh said investigations were
completed during the tenure of former Meerut DIG Akhil Kumar
and permission was sought in June last from the state
government to prosecute Qureshi.
The police has again sought permission for Qureshi`s
Qureshi said that he was unware of any move by the
police to seek permission to prosecute him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes