Permission sought to prosecute BSP MLA
Meerut: The Uttar Pradesh Police has
sought permission to prosecute ruling BSP MLA Haji Yaqoob
Qureshi in a 2006 case for announcing a reward for killing the
Danish cartoonist who drew caricatures of Prophet Mohammed.
Yaqoob Qureshi, then a minister, had announced a cash
reward of Rs 51 crore for beheading Danish cartoonist Kurt
Westergaard on February 17, 2006.
A complaint was registered against Qureshi for making
derogatory remarks against Westergaard in Delhi Gate Police
Station in Meerut.
The Special Investigation Team of the Police, which
conducted an inquiry into the complaint, found Qureshi guilty
of making derogatory remarks against the Danish cartoonist.
Meerut DIG JN Singh said investigations were
completed during the tenure of former Meerut DIG Akhil Kumar
and permission was sought in June last from the state
government to prosecute Qureshi.
The police has again sought permission for Qureshi`s
Qureshi said that he was unware of any move by the
police to seek permission to prosecute him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you