Permission sought to prosecute BSP MLA
Meerut: The Uttar Pradesh Police has
sought permission to prosecute ruling BSP MLA Haji Yaqoob
Qureshi in a 2006 case for announcing a reward for killing the
Danish cartoonist who drew caricatures of Prophet Mohammed.
Yaqoob Qureshi, then a minister, had announced a cash
reward of Rs 51 crore for beheading Danish cartoonist Kurt
Westergaard on February 17, 2006.
A complaint was registered against Qureshi for making
derogatory remarks against Westergaard in Delhi Gate Police
Station in Meerut.
The Special Investigation Team of the Police, which
conducted an inquiry into the complaint, found Qureshi guilty
of making derogatory remarks against the Danish cartoonist.
Meerut DIG JN Singh said investigations were
completed during the tenure of former Meerut DIG Akhil Kumar
and permission was sought in June last from the state
government to prosecute Qureshi.
The police has again sought permission for Qureshi`s
Qureshi said that he was unware of any move by the
police to seek permission to prosecute him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown