PETA to put up banners on draped elephant statues
New Delhi: Animal rights body People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) on Friday appealed to the
Election Commission to allow it to use the covered up elephant
statues in Uttar Pradesh as a platform to expose cruelty
against jumbos in circuses.
In a letter to Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi,
PETA urged him to request the Uttar Pradesh government to open
the city`s parks for them.
"While the elephant statues are covered, we`d like to put
banners on them that read - `Cover-Up by the Big Top:
Elephants in the Circus Are Beaten and Shackled`," it said.
Under the order of the Election Commission, all statues
of Chief Minister Mayawati and her party poll symbol, the
elephant, are now being draped with clothes or plastic sheets.
This is being done to not let these statues at various
parks and memorials influence the choices of voters during the
seven-phased assembly elections which will run from February 4
till February 28.
The animal rights group said that if allowed to place
banners on those drapings, it would help expose the cruelty
against animals in circuses.
"When they`re not being forced to perform meaningless
tricks that are confusing to them, elephants used in circuses
are kept shackled. These majestic creatures are trained
through beatings and fear of physical punishment," it said.
Requesting Quraishi to consider their request, the
international animal rights group said it would would help
them encourage people worldwide to boycott circuses, thereby
helping countless animals whose pains go unnoticed.
"Supporting us in this good deed may also help quieten
those who have criticised the move to cover the statues. It
would be a win-win situation," the PETA letter read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden