Petition challenging renaming of districts, parks in HC
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday sought a reply from the Uttar Pradesh government on a writ petition challenging renaming of some districts, parks and schemes by the current Samajwadi Party regime.
The order was passed by the Lucknow Bench of Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Virendra Dixit on a petition filed by the Bahujan Samaj Party.
The court fixed September 10 as the next date of hearing.
On behalf of the petitioner, senior counsel Satish Chandra Mishra submitted that majority of the names given by the BSP government to districts, parks and schemes have been changed by SP regime which was against the spirit of the law.
He submitted that the decision taken by the existing government should be cancelled and old names be restored.
On behalf of the state government, Advocate General Surya Prakash Gupta requested time to reply following which the court granted two weeks time to file the counter affidavit.
The state government had recently renamed Ramabai Nagar, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar, Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar, Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar, Panchsheel Nagar and Kanshiram Nagar districts.
The government also changed the name of Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and restored its old name King George Medical University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'