Petition challenging renaming of districts, parks in HC
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday sought a reply from the Uttar Pradesh government on a writ petition challenging renaming of some districts, parks and schemes by the current Samajwadi Party regime.
The order was passed by the Lucknow Bench of Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Virendra Dixit on a petition filed by the Bahujan Samaj Party.
The court fixed September 10 as the next date of hearing.
On behalf of the petitioner, senior counsel Satish Chandra Mishra submitted that majority of the names given by the BSP government to districts, parks and schemes have been changed by SP regime which was against the spirit of the law.
He submitted that the decision taken by the existing government should be cancelled and old names be restored.
On behalf of the state government, Advocate General Surya Prakash Gupta requested time to reply following which the court granted two weeks time to file the counter affidavit.
The state government had recently renamed Ramabai Nagar, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar, Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar, Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar, Panchsheel Nagar and Kanshiram Nagar districts.
The government also changed the name of Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and restored its old name King George Medical University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?