Petition challenging renaming of districts, parks in HC
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Tuesday sought a reply from the Uttar Pradesh government on a writ petition challenging renaming of some districts, parks and schemes by the current Samajwadi Party regime.
The order was passed by the Lucknow Bench of Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Virendra Dixit on a petition filed by the Bahujan Samaj Party.
The court fixed September 10 as the next date of hearing.
On behalf of the petitioner, senior counsel Satish Chandra Mishra submitted that majority of the names given by the BSP government to districts, parks and schemes have been changed by SP regime which was against the spirit of the law.
He submitted that the decision taken by the existing government should be cancelled and old names be restored.
On behalf of the state government, Advocate General Surya Prakash Gupta requested time to reply following which the court granted two weeks time to file the counter affidavit.
The state government had recently renamed Ramabai Nagar, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar, Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar, Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar, Panchsheel Nagar and Kanshiram Nagar districts.
The government also changed the name of Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University and restored its old name King George Medical University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!