PF scam: CBI issues non-bailable warrants against 3
Ghaziabad: A special CBI court has issued
non-bailable warrants against three persons in connection with
the Rs 6.53-crore Provident Fund scam, in which some former
judges have also been chargesheeted.
Special CBI Judge AK Singh issued the non-bailable
warrants against Sarvan Kumar, Lokesh Kumar and Jaya Ashthana,
sister of prime accused Ashutosh Ashthana who died in jail in
The CBI had yesterday approached the court seeking
issue of arrest warrants against six former judges, including
three who retired from Allahabad High Court.
The six had moved applications expressing inability
to appear in court citing old age and illhealth.
District Judge R P Mishra, who recently retired, said
in his application that he is suffering from Parkinson`s
disease and his wife was ailing, court sources said.
Former High Court Judge R P Yadav also expressed his
inability to attend the hearing, citing advanced age, while
his former colleaguee R N Mishra said he suffered from
spondylitis and won`t be able to travel to attend the hearing,
63-year-old R S Choubey, a former district judge,
cited old age as the reason.
The special judge dismissed their plea of the judges
and asked them to appear on the next date of hearing on
The court had summoned the judges in the case but none
of them had appeared even though a charge sheet has been filed
The CBI filed a chargesheet against 78 people,
including three former judges of Allahabad High Court and
three district judges in the case.
The case took a new turn after the key accused Ashutosh
Asthana, died under mysterious circumstances at the Dasna
The scam was exposed after special CBI judge Rama Jain
lodged a criminal case against 70 people at Kavi Nagar police
station in February 15, 2008 following which Asthana was
The CBI claimed to have found that the PF money of class
III and IV employees of Ghaziabad courts was illegally
siphoned out and lavishly spent on furniture, crockery,
mobiles, electronic gadgets and appliances, laptops, rail
tickets, taxi fare and other luxury items for the judges.
Asthana as the treasury officer was tasked to
safeguard the PF money of the employees
The CBI claimed to have recovered four original
certificates issued by Chief Judicial Magistrate, Ghaziabad,
certifying that the truck numbers mentioned were carrying the
articles of members of judiciary, which were given to the
truck driver for smooth passage of goods while passing several
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'