Physical disabled people may run fair price shops: HC
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today
ruled that physical disability would not result in denial of
license to a person for running a fair price shop just because
the handicap may require him or her to take the help of
friends and family members to do business.
Passing the order, a Division Bench comprising Justice
Sunil Ambawani and Justice K N Pandey said as per the Control
Order, 2004, the transfer of agency or sub-agency has been
prohibited but this does not prevent a disabled person from
taking the help of friends or family members or a hired
employee in running the shop.
The order was passed on a writ petition filed by Muneem
Ahmed who had challenged the benefit of reservation system
being extended to visually impaired persons for grant of
license to run fair price shops.
The petitioner had challenged the reservation policy on
the ground that a blind person could not run a fair price shop
on his or her own and taking the help of others in doing so
was in violation of Clause 26 of the Control Order.
The court, while rejecting the petition, upheld the
validity of reservation for physically disabled persons saying
it was "both a social welfare measure and affirmative action
in consonance with Section 43 of Persons with Disabilities
(Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full
Participation) Act 1955" aimed at rehabilitating handicapped
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister