PIL challenging Sonia`s election from Rae Bareli dismissed
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Monday
dismissed a petition challenging the election of Congress
president Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli Parliamentary
The order was passed by the Lucknow bench while hearing a
petition filed by Rae Bareli resident Rakesh Singh.
The plea that the candidate is not citizen of India by
birth and hence not qualified for contesting elections is not
sustainable, Justice Satish Chandra said.
Singh in his petition had submitted that citizenship by
birth cannot be set at par with those who have got it through
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet