Pilgrim killed in mishap in Lakhimpur
Lakhimpur: A `kanwaria` was Thursday killed after after being hit by a tractor-trolley, triggering protests by a group of devotees who set the vehicle on fire and staged demonstrations.
Bholey (55), who was going to Gola along with hundreds of kanwariyas (devotees of Lord Shiva), to offer ganga water was hit by the brick-laden tractor trolley near Khaiya village, police said.
Enraged over the incident, the kanwariyas travelling in the group held demonstration on the busy road and did not allow any vehicle to pass from there, police said.
Some of the demonstrators set the tractor-trolley on fire, it said.
Additional SP B B Singh and police officers from various police stations rushed to the spot and tried to pacify them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!