Pilgrim killed in mishap in Lakhimpur
Lakhimpur: A `kanwaria` was Thursday killed after after being hit by a tractor-trolley, triggering protests by a group of devotees who set the vehicle on fire and staged demonstrations.
Bholey (55), who was going to Gola along with hundreds of kanwariyas (devotees of Lord Shiva), to offer ganga water was hit by the brick-laden tractor trolley near Khaiya village, police said.
Enraged over the incident, the kanwariyas travelling in the group held demonstration on the busy road and did not allow any vehicle to pass from there, police said.
Some of the demonstrators set the tractor-trolley on fire, it said.
Additional SP B B Singh and police officers from various police stations rushed to the spot and tried to pacify them.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative