Pipraich Assembly bypoll: Turnout nearly 49 percent
Gorakhpur: An estimated 49 percent voters on Sunday exercised their franchise for bye-election to Pipraich Assembly seat in Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
The voting, held amid tight security, was peaceful, Assistant Returning Officer Dhruva Prasad said.
The turnout was over 48.75 percent, he said adding a
snag was reported in an EVM in a booth in Bhathat area which
was rectified immediately.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of
BSP MLA Jamuna Nishad in a road accident in last November.
His widow Rajmati, contesting on the Samajwadi Party
ticket, is among 13 candidates trying their luck at the
The ruling BSP and the opposition Congress have not
put up any candidates.
The counting of votes will take place on May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range