Pipraich Assembly bypoll: Turnout nearly 49 percent
Gorakhpur: An estimated 49 percent voters on Sunday exercised their franchise for bye-election to Pipraich Assembly seat in Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh.
The voting, held amid tight security, was peaceful, Assistant Returning Officer Dhruva Prasad said.
The turnout was over 48.75 percent, he said adding a
snag was reported in an EVM in a booth in Bhathat area which
was rectified immediately.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of
BSP MLA Jamuna Nishad in a road accident in last November.
His widow Rajmati, contesting on the Samajwadi Party
ticket, is among 13 candidates trying their luck at the
The ruling BSP and the opposition Congress have not
put up any candidates.
The counting of votes will take place on May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi