Plea to end UP government control over probe agencies
Lucknow: Amid the intensifying debate in the country on the autonomy of the CBI, a petition has been filed in Allahabad High Court seeking to end the control of the Uttar Pradesh government over investigating agencies like the CID and vigilance department.
Petitioners Nutan and Amitabh Thakur filed their public interest litigation (PIL) in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Tuesday seeking independence of various probe agencies. These include the CID (criminal investigation department), the economic offences wing (EOW) and the anti-corruption organisation (ACO).
The petition said probes in criminal cases are done as per provisions of the criminal procedure code (CrPC) under which the responsibility and powers for criminal investigation lie with the investigating officer.
It is expected that he will present the facts directly to the court but, as per norms in the state, these agencies are under the state government, who take the final decision, it said.
"This current system is against criminal laws and it increases the possibility of external and unwarranted influence to a great extent," the petitioners told a news agency.
The petition has extensively quoted the Supreme Court`s recent statements in favour of making the Central Bureau of Investigation independent from external influence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action