Plea to end UP government control over probe agencies
Lucknow: Amid the intensifying debate in the country on the autonomy of the CBI, a petition has been filed in Allahabad High Court seeking to end the control of the Uttar Pradesh government over investigating agencies like the CID and vigilance department.
Petitioners Nutan and Amitabh Thakur filed their public interest litigation (PIL) in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Tuesday seeking independence of various probe agencies. These include the CID (criminal investigation department), the economic offences wing (EOW) and the anti-corruption organisation (ACO).
The petition said probes in criminal cases are done as per provisions of the criminal procedure code (CrPC) under which the responsibility and powers for criminal investigation lie with the investigating officer.
It is expected that he will present the facts directly to the court but, as per norms in the state, these agencies are under the state government, who take the final decision, it said.
"This current system is against criminal laws and it increases the possibility of external and unwarranted influence to a great extent," the petitioners told a news agency.
The petition has extensively quoted the Supreme Court`s recent statements in favour of making the Central Bureau of Investigation independent from external influence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015