PM announces compensation for injured in Greater Noida protests
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Sunday announced a financial assistance of Rs 50,000 to those
seriously injured and Rs 10,000 for people who suffered minor
injuries during violence at Bhatta Parsaul villages in Greater
A statement issued by the Prime Minister`s office said
the Prime Minister has announced the financial assistance for
farmers and their family members injured during the recent
incidents at Bhatta Parsaul and other areas in Gautam Budh
Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
Farmers who were agitating for more compensation for
their land from the state government were allegedly beaten up
by Uttar Pradesh police after the crowd reportedly turned
One person was killed in the violence while the district
collector and senior police officials were injured.
The protests became a major political issue when
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi reached the spot last
week and spent a day with the family members of the farmers.
He was arrested late in the night but released after a few
Gandhi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati sparred
over the issue with the former demanding more compensation
while the BSP government maintained that Congress was playing
politics over the issue.
Former BJP President Rajnath Singh also tried to visit
Bhatta Parsaul but was not permitted. He later held a 24 hour
fast in Ghaziabad to protest against the "atrocities of the UP
government and growing lawlessness in the state".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister