PM announces compensation for injured in Greater Noida protests
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Sunday announced a financial assistance of Rs 50,000 to those
seriously injured and Rs 10,000 for people who suffered minor
injuries during violence at Bhatta Parsaul villages in Greater
A statement issued by the Prime Minister`s office said
the Prime Minister has announced the financial assistance for
farmers and their family members injured during the recent
incidents at Bhatta Parsaul and other areas in Gautam Budh
Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
Farmers who were agitating for more compensation for
their land from the state government were allegedly beaten up
by Uttar Pradesh police after the crowd reportedly turned
One person was killed in the violence while the district
collector and senior police officials were injured.
The protests became a major political issue when
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi reached the spot last
week and spent a day with the family members of the farmers.
He was arrested late in the night but released after a few
Gandhi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati sparred
over the issue with the former demanding more compensation
while the BSP government maintained that Congress was playing
politics over the issue.
Former BJP President Rajnath Singh also tried to visit
Bhatta Parsaul but was not permitted. He later held a 24 hour
fast in Ghaziabad to protest against the "atrocities of the UP
government and growing lawlessness in the state".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi