PM assured funds for Central schemes: Akhilesh
New Delhi: Newly-elected Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Accompanied by senior officials, Akhilesh met Singh for over an hour to discuss his policies and programmes for Uttar Pradesh and the help he needed for implementing his schemes and ideas.
Akhilesh, who was expected to demand funds for the development of the state, denied making any such request to the Prime Minister. "We have not demanded any package for the state. It was a good meeting with the Prime Minister. A host of issues related to Uttar Pradesh including MNREGA, roads, problems related to coal shortage, the Kumbh Mela to be held soon and the Ganga cleaning project were discussed," Yadav told reporters after the meeting.
Yadav said he has demanded the Centre`s help, including sanctioning of requisite funds, to the UP government.
"The Prime Minister has assured us that funds will be sent for all the schemes being implemented in the state," he said.
Addressing reporters, Akhilesh said he had a good, cordial meeting with the Prime Minister and added “Samajwadi Party’s only priority was to ensure Uttar Pradesh marches on the road to progress.”
“Maintaining law and order is a priority in UP and action will be taken against those who violate the law,” Akhilesh said in response to a question.
He also said that people who built statues have been punished by the people of the state, in an apparent reference to former CM Mayawati.
Agriculture, he told the prime minister, was a top priority of the Samajwadi Party (SP) government in the state. He asked for support in the power sector, crucial for growth of the agriculture sector.
The chief minister also told Manmohan Singh that the fund the Planning Commission allocated for development of Bundelkhand and Poorvanchal were inadequate and demanded that they be increased, sources said.
Besides, he sought help for fighting the scourge of Japanese encephalitis in seven eastern districts of Uttar Pradesh. After hearing him out, the prime minister assured of all "possible help" to Uttar Pradesh.
The Chief Minister also apprised the Prime Minister of preparations with regards to the Kumbh Mela to be organised in Allahabad and asked the government to increase its share in infrastructure development for the religious congregation which receives millions from across the world.
Akhilesh Yadav informed Manmohan Singh that his government had undertaken certain "course corrections" and was trying its best to bring back the state on the track of development and fiscal growth.
This was Akhilesh’s first meeting with the Prime Minister. Earlier this month, when the UP CM was in the national capital, he had expressed his willingness to meet Dr Singh, but was denied permission as the latter was busy attending the BRICS summit.
Akhilesh will remain here till April 17 and attend the April 16 internal security meeting on National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in