PM condoles loss of lives in Allahabad Railway Station stampede
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday night condoled the loss of lives in a stampede at Allahabad Railway Station and assured financial assistance to the families of those killed and to the injured.
At least 10 persons were killed and scores of others injured in a stampede at Allahabad railway station teeming with thousands of pilgrims returning after a holy dip at the Maha Kumbh here.
Vice President Hamid Ansari also deeply condoled the death of Kumbh pilgrims and wished speedy recovery for the injured.
The Prime Minister directed Railway Ministry to provide all necessary assistance to the affected persons and said the Central government will extend all possible help to the state government in relief operations.
"I am deeply shocked to learn of the unfortunate incident at the Allahabad Railway station today, in which precious lives have been lost and many pilgrims to Kumbh Mela among other people have been injured," he said in a statement.
"I send my heartfelt condolences to the members of the bereaved families and wish those injured a speedy recovery. I have issued instructions to Ministry of Railways to provide all necessary assistance to the affected persons," Singh said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi also expressed grief over the loss of lives in the stampede.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez