PM condoles loss of lives in Allahabad Railway Station stampede
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday night condoled the loss of lives in a stampede at Allahabad Railway Station and assured financial assistance to the families of those killed and to the injured.
At least 10 persons were killed and scores of others injured in a stampede at Allahabad railway station teeming with thousands of pilgrims returning after a holy dip at the Maha Kumbh here.
Vice President Hamid Ansari also deeply condoled the death of Kumbh pilgrims and wished speedy recovery for the injured.
The Prime Minister directed Railway Ministry to provide all necessary assistance to the affected persons and said the Central government will extend all possible help to the state government in relief operations.
"I am deeply shocked to learn of the unfortunate incident at the Allahabad Railway station today, in which precious lives have been lost and many pilgrims to Kumbh Mela among other people have been injured," he said in a statement.
"I send my heartfelt condolences to the members of the bereaved families and wish those injured a speedy recovery. I have issued instructions to Ministry of Railways to provide all necessary assistance to the affected persons," Singh said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi also expressed grief over the loss of lives in the stampede.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog