PM, Sonia to visit riot-hit areas of Muzaffarnagar on Monday
Muzaffarnagar: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul will visit certain riot-affected localities in Muzaffarnagar district on Monday.
"They will stay here for two hours during which they are expected to visit three relief camps where riot-hit people are taking shelter," District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said.
Sharma told PTI that they will also visit the residence of a news correspondent Rajesh Verma, who was among those killed in the violence.
After their arrival here around 10:00 AM, they will visit the rural Shahpur locality along with local leaders and administration officials, the District Magistrate said.
They are expected to go to relief camps at Basikalan, Tawli and Sanjhak, he said.
The area is about 30 km from district headquarters and some camps are still functioning as riot-hit people are staying there.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who visited the district today, was greeted with black flags and slogan shouting by angry villagers.
A strong posse of state policemen and Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel will man each and every location in the city during the VVIP visit, official sources said.
The district administration has already made elaborate arrangements for the PM`s visit with top officials from Lucknow camping here.
"Extra force has been provided to Meerut Zone for the Prime Minister`s visit," IG (Law and Order) RK Vishwakarma told reporters in Lucknow.
Additional Director General of Police OP Singh would be the incharge of the overall security, he said.
Around 4,000 personnel of PAC and RAF are already camping in the district, where situation is peaceful and no fresh incident has been reported.
The District Magistrate said schools will open from tomorrow for the first time after their closure was ordered in view of curfew clamped in the city on September 7.
Senior SP Praveen Kumar said, "After assessing the situation, we may plan to lift night curfew from the city tomorrow or day after."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj