Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Rae Bareli
Lucknow: Two poachers have been arrested in Uttar Pradesh`s Rae Bareli district with 40 tortoises in their possession, police said Wednesday.
The two men were nabbed Tuesday night in Naseerabad town of Rae Bareli, some 80 km from Lucknow. Two of their aides, however, managed to escape with sacks containing nearly 50 other tortoises.
"The two have admitted that they work for a Kolkata-based team involved in wildlife trade of animals including leopards, peacocks and other endangered species," police inspector SS. Gupta told reporters in Rae Bareli.
"We are still interrogating them to ascertain the place from where the tortoises were brought," he added.
According to police, some of the tortoises were alive and were handed over to forest officials.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
"A case under Section 9 (prohibition of hunting) and Section 49B (prohibition of animal trading) of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 has been lodged against the two," Gupta said.
Tortoises are killed for their meat and are used in preparation of some medicines, officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory