Police lathicharge protesters in Meerut mahapanchayat
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Meerut: The Uttar Pradesh Police on Sunday lathicharged the crowd protesting against the arrest of BJP MLA Sangeet Som for his aggressive remarks during Muzaffarnagar riots.
Despite outlawed by the administration, Mahapanchayat was being carried out in the area.
According to police, one has injured and nearly 60 people have been arrested.
The uncontrolled crowd burnt several vehicles which compelled the police force to resort to lathicharge. Police also fired in air to disperse the crowd.
BJP MLA Sangeet Som was arrested for his alleged involvement in the fake video uploading case and making provocative speeches on September 24 under the stringent National Security Act (NSA).
The arrest warrants were also issued against BSP leaders Rana, Ahmed and Rana, former Congress MP Saedduzzaman and BJP leaders Hukum Singh, Sangat Singh Som, Suresh Rana and Kunwar Bharatendu. Bharatiya Kisan Union leaders Rakesh Tikait and Naresh Tikait are also on the list.
On August 27, violent riots broke out in the Kawal area of Muzaffarnagar when members of a community returning from a panchayat meeting in Naglabadhod, three kilometres from Kawal, clashed with members of another community.
The brawl was an outcome of an eve-teasing incident between four youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now