Police probe can raise uncomfortable questions for AMU staff
Aligarh: The ongoing police investigation
into the alleged suicide by a gay AMU professor could raise
some "uncomfortable questions" for the university authorities,
according to police sources.
The AMU authorities would have to explain as to why no
official internal probe was conducted to trace out the persons
who reportedly orchestrated the sting operation, which took
place place on February 8 at the residence of the professor
Srinivas Ramchander Siras, they said.
The body of 62-year-old Srinivas Ramchander Siras, a
reader in Modern Indian Languages, was found on April 7 lying
on the bed in his private apartment outside the university
after police broke open the door which was locked from inside.
Siras, who hailed from Maharashtra and taught Marathi,
was placed under suspension by AMU Vice Chancellor P K Abdul
Aziz on charges of homosexuality at his house inside the
campus after a sting operation by a television channel which
exposed him having sexual relations with a rickshaw puller.
Maintaining that the police probe could raise some
uncomfortable questions for the university authorities, police
sources also hinted that holding of a selection committee for
a professor`s post which took place last month, during the
suspension period of Dr Siras could also throw some light on
the entire episode.
Also, senior district police officials would have to
explain as to why they failed to register an FIR on the basis
of a written complaint filed by the professor against some
senior AMU officials after the sting operation.
The professor had submitted a rougly drafted application
in English. He was then told to submit a properly drafted
application," City Superintendent of Police Maan Singh Chauhan
But before the police received such an application,
Dr Siras approached the court of law which ordered that an FIR
should be immediately lodged, he said, adding "We have no
malafide intentions and a full and fair investigations will
now be conducted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...