Police station torched after death of youth
Lucknow: A mob torched a police station and three motorcycles in Uttar Pradesh after two policemen alleged thrashed a young man to death, officials said Tuesday.
Furious villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri also snatched away the weapons of the police personnel after beating them up.
They blocked the Lakhimpur-Dudhwa national highway for over four hours demanding that a murder case be slapped against the two men.
The station house officer (SHO) of the area and other policemen escaped the mob by hiding in nearby areas.
After the attack, heavy reinforcements and Provincial Armed Constabulary rushed to the spot.
The incident took place in Rainaganj village when two policemen came to pick up 25-year-old Rakesh over a crime.
When he and his family wanted to know the details of the complaint, the two policemen thrashed Rakesh, leaving him unconscious.
Rakesh was rushed to a community health centre where he was pronounced dead.
The mob violence then began. Even as police officers tried to pacify the protesters, they demanded that the two policemen be booked for murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations