Police station torched after death of youth
Lucknow: A mob torched a police station and three motorcycles in Uttar Pradesh after two policemen alleged thrashed a young man to death, officials said Tuesday.
Furious villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri also snatched away the weapons of the police personnel after beating them up.
They blocked the Lakhimpur-Dudhwa national highway for over four hours demanding that a murder case be slapped against the two men.
The station house officer (SHO) of the area and other policemen escaped the mob by hiding in nearby areas.
After the attack, heavy reinforcements and Provincial Armed Constabulary rushed to the spot.
The incident took place in Rainaganj village when two policemen came to pick up 25-year-old Rakesh over a crime.
When he and his family wanted to know the details of the complaint, the two policemen thrashed Rakesh, leaving him unconscious.
Rakesh was rushed to a community health centre where he was pronounced dead.
The mob violence then began. Even as police officers tried to pacify the protesters, they demanded that the two policemen be booked for murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Mali Islamist rebel apologises for destroying shrines
- 3 militants killed in Pakistan
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison