Police station torched after death of youth
Lucknow: A mob torched a police station and three motorcycles in Uttar Pradesh after two policemen alleged thrashed a young man to death, officials said Tuesday.
Furious villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri also snatched away the weapons of the police personnel after beating them up.
They blocked the Lakhimpur-Dudhwa national highway for over four hours demanding that a murder case be slapped against the two men.
The station house officer (SHO) of the area and other policemen escaped the mob by hiding in nearby areas.
After the attack, heavy reinforcements and Provincial Armed Constabulary rushed to the spot.
The incident took place in Rainaganj village when two policemen came to pick up 25-year-old Rakesh over a crime.
When he and his family wanted to know the details of the complaint, the two policemen thrashed Rakesh, leaving him unconscious.
Rakesh was rushed to a community health centre where he was pronounced dead.
The mob violence then began. Even as police officers tried to pacify the protesters, they demanded that the two policemen be booked for murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks