Police station torched after death of youth
Lucknow: A mob torched a police station and three motorcycles in Uttar Pradesh after two policemen alleged thrashed a young man to death, officials said Tuesday.
Furious villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri also snatched away the weapons of the police personnel after beating them up.
They blocked the Lakhimpur-Dudhwa national highway for over four hours demanding that a murder case be slapped against the two men.
The station house officer (SHO) of the area and other policemen escaped the mob by hiding in nearby areas.
After the attack, heavy reinforcements and Provincial Armed Constabulary rushed to the spot.
The incident took place in Rainaganj village when two policemen came to pick up 25-year-old Rakesh over a crime.
When he and his family wanted to know the details of the complaint, the two policemen thrashed Rakesh, leaving him unconscious.
Rakesh was rushed to a community health centre where he was pronounced dead.
The mob violence then began. Even as police officers tried to pacify the protesters, they demanded that the two policemen be booked for murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad