Policeman shot by passengers in train, dies
Bareilly: A policeman on board an Allahabad bound train was allegedly shot to death during an altercation with some passengers over a minor dispute, police said Thursday.
Ram Niranjan Singh was on his way to Pratapgarh to attend a family marriage when the incident took place in the Haridwar-Allahabad express train last night, they said, adding that his family members were also injured in the incident.
Singh, who was posted at Kiratpur in Bijnor district, had entered into an argument with some co-passengers after his suitcase hit a woman while loading luggage in Haridwar.
The issue got pacified for the moment with police intervention but when the train reached Bareilly, the rival group picked up the fight again and tried to drag Singh towards the gate of the coach.
The post-mortem has revealed Singh was shot by the assailants, Medical Superintendent of district hospital Vijay Yadav said.
Meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding culprits, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown