Policeman shot by passengers in train, dies
Bareilly: A policeman on board an Allahabad bound train was allegedly shot to death during an altercation with some passengers over a minor dispute, police said Thursday.
Ram Niranjan Singh was on his way to Pratapgarh to attend a family marriage when the incident took place in the Haridwar-Allahabad express train last night, they said, adding that his family members were also injured in the incident.
Singh, who was posted at Kiratpur in Bijnor district, had entered into an argument with some co-passengers after his suitcase hit a woman while loading luggage in Haridwar.
The issue got pacified for the moment with police intervention but when the train reached Bareilly, the rival group picked up the fight again and tried to drag Singh towards the gate of the coach.
The post-mortem has revealed Singh was shot by the assailants, Medical Superintendent of district hospital Vijay Yadav said.
Meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding culprits, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi