Policeman shot by passengers in train, dies
Bareilly: A policeman on board an Allahabad bound train was allegedly shot to death during an altercation with some passengers over a minor dispute, police said Thursday.
Ram Niranjan Singh was on his way to Pratapgarh to attend a family marriage when the incident took place in the Haridwar-Allahabad express train last night, they said, adding that his family members were also injured in the incident.
Singh, who was posted at Kiratpur in Bijnor district, had entered into an argument with some co-passengers after his suitcase hit a woman while loading luggage in Haridwar.
The issue got pacified for the moment with police intervention but when the train reached Bareilly, the rival group picked up the fight again and tried to drag Singh towards the gate of the coach.
The post-mortem has revealed Singh was shot by the assailants, Medical Superintendent of district hospital Vijay Yadav said.
Meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding culprits, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video