Policeman shot by passengers in train, dies
Bareilly: A policeman on board an Allahabad bound train was allegedly shot to death during an altercation with some passengers over a minor dispute, police said Thursday.
Ram Niranjan Singh was on his way to Pratapgarh to attend a family marriage when the incident took place in the Haridwar-Allahabad express train last night, they said, adding that his family members were also injured in the incident.
Singh, who was posted at Kiratpur in Bijnor district, had entered into an argument with some co-passengers after his suitcase hit a woman while loading luggage in Haridwar.
The issue got pacified for the moment with police intervention but when the train reached Bareilly, the rival group picked up the fight again and tried to drag Singh towards the gate of the coach.
The post-mortem has revealed Singh was shot by the assailants, Medical Superintendent of district hospital Vijay Yadav said.
Meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding culprits, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days