Policeman shot by passengers in train, dies
Bareilly: A policeman on board an Allahabad bound train was allegedly shot to death during an altercation with some passengers over a minor dispute, police said Thursday.
Ram Niranjan Singh was on his way to Pratapgarh to attend a family marriage when the incident took place in the Haridwar-Allahabad express train last night, they said, adding that his family members were also injured in the incident.
Singh, who was posted at Kiratpur in Bijnor district, had entered into an argument with some co-passengers after his suitcase hit a woman while loading luggage in Haridwar.
The issue got pacified for the moment with police intervention but when the train reached Bareilly, the rival group picked up the fight again and tried to drag Singh towards the gate of the coach.
The post-mortem has revealed Singh was shot by the assailants, Medical Superintendent of district hospital Vijay Yadav said.
Meanwhile, a manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding culprits, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire