Policies of Centre, Gujarat govt benefiting corporates: Mayawati
Rajkot: Accusing the Congress-led UPA government at Centre and Narendra Modi government in Gujarat of coming to power on the "financial muscle power" of corporates, BSP chief Mayawati on Sunday attributed the surge in corruption to "anti-poor and anti-Dalit" policies.
"Congress at Centre and BJP in Gujarat came to power with the financial help of a few industrialists and their policies are tilted in favour of corporates," the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister said while addressing a poll meeting at Shastri Maidan here.
BSP has fielded 163 candidates for the 182 Gujarat Assembly seats going to polls on December 13 and 17.
Mayawati alleged that the poor were bearing the brunt of inflation and price rise due to faulty policies of the "wrong parties" which are in power at the Centre and in Gujarat. "In Gujarat too poor people are suffering," she said.
"It is the Centre`s responsibility to eradicate poverty but because of its faulty policies there is no sign of reduction in poverty and the state government (Gujarat) has adopted similar policies," Mayawati said.
Slamming Congress for announcing `ghar nu ghar` scheme for urban poor and women in Gujarat and BJP for a similar one to build 50 lakh houses, Mayawati said both the parties were actually imitating the policy conceptualised by her erstwhile government in Uttar Pradesh.
Accusing Modi government of "neglecting" Dalits and backward classes and framing them in false cases, "I have been told that Dalits have been harassed in Gujarat for last few years. Even though some of Dalits were killed, no FIR was lodged against culprits".
Mayawati was referring to the Than firing in which three Dalit youths were killed in Sabarkantha district in September.
She claimed that BSP was the only party working for the cause of Dalits and downtrodden sections of the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees