Political appointees should resign with change of govt: Rajasthan Governor
Jaipur: UP Governor Ram Naik, who on Friday took additional charge of Rajasthan, said political appointees keeping in mind the tradition, should resign voluntarily with the change of government.
Replying to a question on whether Governors should resign in such cases, Naik said there has been a tradition in the country of "proactive resignation" by those appointed politically besides Governors, after change in government and the tradition should be respected.
"Traditions have an important place in political sphere which should be respected. Those appointed politically by governments, not only Governors, but others like Deputy Chairman and members of Planning Commission, tender their resignations voluntarily with the change of government and it is right to do so," he told reporters after assuming charge of the Governor.
However, on the sacking of Mizoram Governor Kamla Beniwal, he refused to comment, saying it was not appropriate to comment on the decision of the President.
The 80-year-old also said there was a need to form a permanent petroleum policy in the country and expressed confidence in the Narendra Modi government.
"When I was petroleum minister, the crude oil import was 70 per cent which has gone up to 80 per cent despite that we have domestic production. High consumption has increased the demand for oil and I am delighted to see that Rajasthan is now leading in oil production in the country.
"Refinery must be set up to save transport cost and to take maximum benefits of discovery of oil and its production here but what would be modalities is a separate issue," he said.
The Governor said he came from (Maharastra), the land of
Chhatrapati Sivaji and Bal Gangadhar Tilak whose (Tilak`s) work on Geeta is well known, then went to UP - the land of Lord Rama and Krishna and came to Rajasthan, the land of Maharana Pratap and Meera Bai, and was feeling great being in the state.
"I am not sure that how many days I am going to spend in Rajasthan but I found long association with the state," he said.
The Governor said that he was not in favour of using words like `His Excellency` for addressing Governors and said that `Honorable` was a perfect term.
"I am in a new mode and will try to fulfill all responsibilities as the Governor. I will not be opening any Janta Darbar (public hearing) but the doors of the Raj Bhawan will always be open for people who want to give their suggestion or to come with their grievances," he said.
"I also will work as a bridge between the government of Rajasthan and the Central government," Naik added.
The Governor will tomorrow attend a function where freedom fighters will be felicitated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi