Political parties in UP field 5 riots accused in LS polls
Muzaffarnagar: The political parties in Uttar Pradesh have fielded at least five candidates, who are accused in Muzaffarnagar riots cases, to contest Lok Sabha elections.
The BJP has nominated Bhartendu Singh from Bijnore, Sanjeev Baliyan from Muzaffarnagar and Hukum Singh from Kairana constituency.
BSP MLA Kadir Rana from Muzaffarnagar, BKU leader and RLD candidate Choudhary Rakesh Tikait from Amroha LS seat are facing charges of inciting communal tension here by making inflammatory speeches.
Besides, four candidates from Kairana constituency and three candidates from Muzaffarnagar have different cases relating various offences registered against them, Election Commission officials said.
According to affidavits filed during the nominations, Hukum Singh has two cases, Kunwar Hasan one case, SP candidate Nahid Hasan and RLD candidate Kartar Singh Bhadana have two cases each registered against them.
Kadir Rana has been booked under five different cases, including the Muzaffarnagar riots cases. Two cases are registered against Sanjeev Baliyan and SP candidate Virender Singh.
The communal violence, which had broken out on September 7, last year in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining towns, had claimed over 40 lives. It left 85 others injured and rendered 51,000 people homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details