Political party symbols challenged in Allahabad HC
Lucknow: A writ petition has been filed before the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court seeking quashing of symbols allotted to political parties.
Filed Tuesday by social activist Nutan Thakur, the petition says that the Election Commission has provided "permanent election symbols to national and state recognised political parties under Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order, 1968."
She contends that this was against rules five and 10 of the Conduct of Election Rules 1961, which clearly says that symbols shall be provided by the returning officers only at the time of elections. "This is clearly a breach of laid down rules and regulations and hence I have appealed before the court on the matter," the petitioner said.
By doing so, the Election Commission was "giving undue favour to recognised parties and distorts the level playing field". The petition also says that dozens of election symbols like hand, clock, book, ceiling fan, chair and table are against Section 130 of the Representation of People`s Act, 1951, which says that no election-related sign shall be placed anywhere within a 100 metre periphery of the polling booth, while these symbols are always present in polling booths.
The petitioner has prayed for the quashing the party symbols and illegal election symbols allotted to such political parties as well. The petition is likely to be taken up by the court next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof