Poll panel seeks 5,000 UP buses
Lucknow: Passengers travelling on Uttar Pradesh state transport buses are in for tough times for the next two months as the poll panel has sought 5,000 buses.
The Election Commission (EC) has requisitioned more than 5,000 buses from the UP State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) fleet for election related duties.
According to senior officials, the poll panel has sought the services of these buses across the staggered six-phase Lok Sabha poll for the 80 seats in UP.
An official said that for the first phase April 10, 652 buses have been sought.
As many as 725 buses have been sought for the second phase (April 17), 832 buses for the third phase April 24, 997 buses for the fourth phase of polling April 30, 1,035 buses for the fifth phase scheduled for May 7 and 1,253 buses for the final phase of the polling May 12.
Officials said these buses will largely be used to transport the poll officials and returning parties.
While officials say that these buses would be pulled out from the least frequented routes of the state, they admit in private of the problem it might create for many commuters.
"We are trying our best to strike a balance in demand of passengers on certain routes and demand put forth by the poll panel," said an UPSRTC official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday