Power crisis in UP, Tamil Nadu figures in RS
New Delhi: The issue of severe power shortage in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu figured in the Rajya Sabha on Monday with members seeking Centre`s intervention to address it.
Raising the issue of Uttar Pradesh during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) accused the Centre of adopting stepmotherly treatment with the state as it needed 6,000 MW of power but was getting hardly 4,800 MW leading to severe shortage.
At the same time, power plants in the state including those in government sector, are not getting adequate coal for production, he said.
The Centre has assured these plants including Rosa power plant and Lanco supply of at least 65 per cent of their coal requirement but they are "not even getting 40 per cent," he said.
He said the Centre was not even following the pact in regard to Dadri power plant that has said 25 per cent of the electricity generated will be supplied to Uttar Pradesh.
Drawing the attention of the Centre towards power crisis in Tamil Nadu, K P Ramalingam (DMK) said the state was virtually reeling under darkness as there was no power supply for up to 20 hours daily.
"Twenty-four textile mills and 5,000 industrial units out of 40,000 have closed down in the state and 50 lakh labourers have lost their jobs," he said.
Seeking Centre`s intervention, he said, "Government says people will have to bear with the situation till next June. This is injustice. I urge Government of India to direct the state to take immediate steps. DMK has convened a nationwide strike tomorrow."
AIADMK members stood up and objected to his remarks.
Sanjeev Kumar (JMM) raised the issue of pollution in Dhanbad and Maithon areas due to transportation of coal to 1000 MW Maithon Power Ltd, a joint venture between Tata Power and DVC.
He said 11,000 tonnes of coal were being carried daily to the unit without adhering to pollution control norms resulting in pollution of water in rivers and ponds and diseases like tuberculosis, cancer and asthma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India