Power cuts continue as mercury soars in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Soaring day temperatures and an acute power crisis continued in Uttar Pradesh on Saturday for the fifth consecutive day.
The mercury touched a new high of 47 degrees Celsius in the state capital, while Allahabad was the hottest place in the state with 48.3 degrees Celsius. Banda was a close second with 47.6 degrees Celsius.
In most other places, the maximum temperature hovered between 44 and 47 degrees Celsius, the Met office said, adding there will no respite from the intense heat in the coming days.
"There is no likelihood of any change in the heat wave conditions for most part of the coming week," JP Gupta, the regional Met director, told IANS.
The weatherman also said there was no indication of pre-monsoon showers.
The day temperature in Varanasi, Kanpur, Jhansi, Sultanpur, Bahraich, Bareilly, Meerut, Lakhimpur Kheri, Hardoi and Shahjahanpur remained around 47 degrees Celsius Friday.
The unscheduled power outages across the state have aggravated the situation.
The daily power supply in many villages is about 2-3 hours, while the towns are getting 10-12 hour power supply.
The Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited said the power situation was not likely to improve in the near future.
Recurring faults like low voltages, overload and burning of transformers have added to the woes to the common man, forcing people to take to the roads and protest.
At many places, powermen have been held captive by mobs and power stations have been attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP