Power cuts in Rae Bareli, Amethi; Cong says `unfortunate`
Lucknow: Rae Bareli and Amethi, the Lok Sabha constituencies of Sonia and Rahul Gandhi, are facing power cuts for the first time after the Akhilesh government ordered round-the-clock supply to these VVIP districts, leading to speculation about further strain in SP-Congress ties.
Sources in the power corporation said that although no formal orders in this regard have been issued, these two districts have been put on load-shedding roster since yesterday.
The two constituencies witnessed power cuts for a couple of hours, which the authorities blamed on pressing conditions due to fall in output.
However, the sources said that barring these two districts, the other VVIP constituencies of Mainpuri, Kannauj, Etawah and Rampur, all strongholds of SP leaders, continue to get 24-hour supply.
Reacting to the development, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi described it as "unfortunate."
"It is unfortunate that in a few districts, power is being supplied for 24 hours while in rest of UP, there is no power. Entire state should get proper electricity. People had elected this government with great hope," he said in Delhi.
The development comes on the back of recent public spat between the SP and Congress leaders, fuelling speculation that the decision on pow cuts could be a fallout of it.
Nearly nine months back, the Akhilesh Yadav government had ordered to provide round-the-clock power supply to both these districts, which, at that time, was seen as an indication of warming ties between Congress and SP, which is supporting UPA government from outside.
Meanwhile, a senior power official blamed the load-shedding on "unavoidable conditions."
"There are no orders of power cut in these two districts. During the past two days, there had been a two hour load-shedding due to unavoidable conditions," power corporation MD AP Misra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in