Power station chimney collapses in Jhansi; many feared trapped
Jhansi: A chimney being constructed by
a Central agency at Parichcha thermal power station collapsed
here today, leaving at least six labourers injured and several
are feared trapped in the debris.
About 220-metre high chimney, works of which were taken
up by the National Building Construction Corporation, fell
down and several labourers are believed to be trapped in the
debris. Six of them were taken out, SSP Vinod Kumar Dohre
Army has been called in for rescue operation. The
accident occurred during the lunch time while labourers were
taking rest, police said.
Power department sources claimed that there were inputs
suggesting that the chimney was slightly lop-sided and
directives had been issued to rectify it. The accident site is
some 30 kms from the district headquarters.
"As the structure was made of iron, gas cutters and
machines of different agencies, including NHAI and BHEL to
remove the debris," an official spokesman said in Lucknow.
Chief Minister Mayawati alleged that the work was
sub-standard and directed the officers to write to the Centre
recommending action against NBCC.
She said the NBCC was warned of poor quality of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security