Pradeep Mathur new UP CLP leader
New Delhi: Pradeep Mathur has been made the new CLP leader of Uttar Pradesh replacing Pramod Tewari, who has created a record of sorts by being in the post since 1989 when the Congress went out of power from the key state.
Besides Tewari, others who were aspiring for the post included PCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi, Anugrah Naryan Singh and Vivek Singh.
The appointment was made by party president Sonia Gandhi with immediate effect. The announcement was made by AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi.
Sometime back Gandhi had sent Motilal Vora, Sushil Kumar Shinde and Digvijay Singh as central observers to Lucknow for a meeting of the state legislature party, which had authorized her to take the decision.
Mathur is a loyalist who has been in Congress through thick and thin unlike some of the other contenders, who had their brief stints in between with other parties as well.
Rita Bahugunja had tendered her resignation as PCC chief immediately after the party debacle in Uttar Pradesh amid indications that the state unit of the party will undergo a thorough reshuffle.
Congress has been in political wilderness in Uttar Pradesh since 1989 in the wake of Mandal and Mandir surge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'