President of AMU student wing suspended for indiscipline
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University has suspended the president of its Students` Union wing on charges of leading violent agitations at the campus and his "rowdy behaviour".
Shahzad Alam has also been directed to vacate the campus as disciplinary proceedings against him were on, a spokesman of the university said.
Vice Chancellor of the University, Lt Gen (retired) Zamiruddin Shah, took the decision late last night.
"A serious note has been taken of Alam`s involvement in orchestrating an illegal and violent agitation for condoning the mandatory attendance requirement," said the suspension order issued by the registrar of the university Sahrukh Shamshad.
Alam has also been charged with leading a mob, which had attacked the VC`s car and indulged in violence leading to injuries to several security personnel on March 23.
However, the latest incident, which led to Alam`s suspension, was his "rowdy behaviour" during the visit of the Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Jitin Prasad yesterday.
Prasad was the chief guest at the silver jubilee celebrations of the Centre for Distance Education, AMU.
The suspension order mentions that Alam and some of his associates tried to disrupt the function.
Alam has also been charged with leaving the venue of the function prematurely in a disorderly manner before the university `tarana` and national anthem were sung.
However, Alam told newsmen today that he had been penalised for trying to highlight the demand for restoration of the minority character for the university in front the Union HRD Minister.
Alam said that the Students` Union had launched a drive to mount pressure on the UPA government to press for this demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say