President of AMU student wing suspended for indiscipline
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University has suspended the president of its Students` Union wing on charges of leading violent agitations at the campus and his "rowdy behaviour".
Shahzad Alam has also been directed to vacate the campus as disciplinary proceedings against him were on, a spokesman of the university said.
Vice Chancellor of the University, Lt Gen (retired) Zamiruddin Shah, took the decision late last night.
"A serious note has been taken of Alam`s involvement in orchestrating an illegal and violent agitation for condoning the mandatory attendance requirement," said the suspension order issued by the registrar of the university Sahrukh Shamshad.
Alam has also been charged with leading a mob, which had attacked the VC`s car and indulged in violence leading to injuries to several security personnel on March 23.
However, the latest incident, which led to Alam`s suspension, was his "rowdy behaviour" during the visit of the Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development Jitin Prasad yesterday.
Prasad was the chief guest at the silver jubilee celebrations of the Centre for Distance Education, AMU.
The suspension order mentions that Alam and some of his associates tried to disrupt the function.
Alam has also been charged with leaving the venue of the function prematurely in a disorderly manner before the university `tarana` and national anthem were sung.
However, Alam told newsmen today that he had been penalised for trying to highlight the demand for restoration of the minority character for the university in front the Union HRD Minister.
Alam said that the Students` Union had launched a drive to mount pressure on the UPA government to press for this demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...