President Pranab Mukherjee OKs probe against AMU VC
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has okayed an inquiry into allegations of financial and other improprieties against Aligarh Muslim University's (AMU) vice chancellor Zameer Uddin Shah.
Notably, the President is also the Visitor to the University.
Mukherjee gave the go ahead on a proposal from the Ministry of Human Resource Development to which former Janata Dal MP Wasim Ahmed had given a memorandum seeking a probe into allegations against the Vice Chancellor.
Mukherjee's action also follows approval of a similar probe against Allahabad University Vice Chancellor RL Hangloo.
Ahmed, a member of the AMU executive council, welcomed the approval for probe against the AMU Vice Chancellor, saying it was long overdue.
The key allegation against Shah is financial irregularities amounting to Rs 120 crore.
Shah, on the other hand, has denied all allegations against him, saying some vested interests were carrying out a campaign against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM