Prez candidate can belong to any community: SP
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party on Friday said the next President should not be chosen on the basis of whether the person belongs to the backward, minority or scheduled caste community.
Asked whether the party would support Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature for the President`s post, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "I have not heard anybody`s name. Nobody has told me about this."
"As far as the President is concerned, whether the person is from minority, backward or scheduled caste community, it does not matter," he said when asked if the next President should be from the minority communty.
Asked about his meeting with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee yesterday, the SP Chief said, "This is not my first meeting with her. It is understood that if two political parties will meet, they will discuss something.
"I have met her many times and it is obvious that when two political parties meet, they will discuss politics also. If that can be shared with you, we will definitely do so," he said.
After an hour-long meeting at Yadav`s residence, Banerjee had said that they would meet again and take a joint decision after further consultations.
Yadav had yesterday said the Presidential candidate should be a political person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves