Priest found murdered, valuable idols missing in UP
Lucknow: A priest was found murdered in Barauli village with three `ashtdhatu` idols worth crores of rupees which were in his possession reported missing, police said on Tuesday.
Safdarganj police said that they last night forced the door of the 20-year-old Rajesh Dixit`s house after complaints from villagers who suspected something amiss.
Inside was the body of the youth with police saying that strangulation appeared as being the cause of death. The body seemed four days old, they added.
Three ashtdhatu idols of Lord Ram, Janki and Lakshman, each weighing 32kg, were missing from the house.
Dixit was the priest of a temple and had kept the idols in his house after the temple was damaged some years back.
A few people have been taken into custody for questioning in connection with the case, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing