Prime accused arrested in Lakhimpur murder
Lucknow: The gunner of a circle officer
was on Sunday arrested for the sensational killing of a girl whose
body was found hanging in a police station in UP`s Lakhimpur
district, with authorities alleging that he took her life when
she raised an alarm during a molestation bid.
"Gunner of Circle officer Atiq Ahamad has been
arrested by the CB-CID for his involvement killing a
14-year-old girl, whose body was found hanging at Nighasan
police station premises on June 10 in Lakhimpur Kheri,"
Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told reporters here.
He claimed that during interrogation, Ahamad had
confessed to having murdered the girl but did not elaborate on
how she was done to death.
On whether there was an attempt to rape the victim,
Singh denied the allegation and said that "it was a
"The constable would often call the girl and give her
money to buy things from the market. He had been trying to get
close to her. He has a history of such behaviour," Singh said,
adding that Ahamad killed the girl after she raised an alaram
when he tried to molest her.
The charge sheet in the matter would be filed soon in
the court, the official said.
The incident led the opposition to attack the Mayawati
government on the law and order issue. The parties demanded a
CBI probe into the incident, alleging that the girl was raped
and murdered inside the police station.
The three doctors-- AK Agarwal, SP Singh and A
K Sharma-- who had performed the first autopsy were placed
under suspension for their report mentioning asphyxia as the
cause of death after a five-member panel concluded that the
girl was strangulated. The second post-mortem, however, had
also ruled out rape.
The official said while an FIR had been lodged against
a sub-inspector and two constables for tampering with
evidence, another policeman Ram Chander was arrested on June
13 on similar charges.
The victim`s mother in her complaint had alleged that
her daughter was raped and murdered and her body hanged from a
tree in Nighasan police station premises.
Eleven policemen posted at the police station were
suspended after the incident.
AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi had visited the
family of the victim on June 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'