Priyanka Gandhi likely to campaign for UP polls
Lucknow: Priyanka Gandhi is likely to lead the Congress campaign in Amethi and Rae Bareli, pocket-borough of Nehru-Gandhi family, in the coming assembly elections in
This was indicated as the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee
has given her name to the Election Commission in the list of
party leaders and personalities who are likely to campaign for
the party in the state.
"Priyanka`s name figures along with that of other senior
leaders like her mother AICC president Sonia Gandhi for whom
the party has sought car passes from the Election Commission
for campaigning," Congress sources said, adding it is likely
that she might lead the campaign in Amethi and Rae Bareli
districts which are represented by her brother Rahul and
mother respectively in the Lok Sabha.
"It is to facilitate her (Priyanka`s) visit, in case she
decides to visit the state during electioneering for the
coming elections, and ensure that there is no problem in
making arrangements for it at the last minute," they said.
Priyanka, 39, had taken primary membership of the Congress
in 2004 but has remained away from active politics.
The sources said there is a demand for Priyanka Gandhi
from all over the state but she is expected to confine herself
to Rae Bareli and Amethi districts.
As Rahul will be busy with campaigning in other parts of
state and Sonia is likely to divide her time among all the
five states where assembly elections are scheduled, Priyanka
would take care of these two districts.
"She has a personal rapport with the people of these
two constituencies and it is like a second home to her," the
sources said, adding that she had been a frequent visitor to
these areas and had also taken part in campaigning in the Lok
It will be a seven-phased poll in Uttar Pradesh between
February 4 and 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing