Probing links of arrested bookies: UP police
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh police today said they were investigating the links of bookies arrested from Varanasi and Kanpur with a bigger racket but no IPL player from the state was under its scanner.
"As of now we are only investigating cases relating to arrests of some bookies in Varanasi and Kanpur," IG (law and order) R K Vishwakarma said.
Vishwakarma was reacting to reports in a section of the media that some players from UP were under the scanner of the police for their alleged involvement in IPL spot-fixing.
He said that the investigation has pointed their links with a big racket.
"We are not here to malign anyone. We are looking in to forward and backward linkages of the bookies arrested. Pointing towards any one without evidence is not the right thing. We have never said anything about the players," he said.
Additional Director General, Law and Order Arun Kumar Jha said, "No UP player in under our scanner. We are probing the case related to bookies arrested in the state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley