Probing links of arrested bookies: UP police
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh police today said they were investigating the links of bookies arrested from Varanasi and Kanpur with a bigger racket but no IPL player from the state was under its scanner.
"As of now we are only investigating cases relating to arrests of some bookies in Varanasi and Kanpur," IG (law and order) R K Vishwakarma said.
Vishwakarma was reacting to reports in a section of the media that some players from UP were under the scanner of the police for their alleged involvement in IPL spot-fixing.
He said that the investigation has pointed their links with a big racket.
"We are not here to malign anyone. We are looking in to forward and backward linkages of the bookies arrested. Pointing towards any one without evidence is not the right thing. We have never said anything about the players," he said.
Additional Director General, Law and Order Arun Kumar Jha said, "No UP player in under our scanner. We are probing the case related to bookies arrested in the state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day