Probing links of arrested bookies: UP police
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh police today said they were investigating the links of bookies arrested from Varanasi and Kanpur with a bigger racket but no IPL player from the state was under its scanner.
"As of now we are only investigating cases relating to arrests of some bookies in Varanasi and Kanpur," IG (law and order) R K Vishwakarma said.
Vishwakarma was reacting to reports in a section of the media that some players from UP were under the scanner of the police for their alleged involvement in IPL spot-fixing.
He said that the investigation has pointed their links with a big racket.
"We are not here to malign anyone. We are looking in to forward and backward linkages of the bookies arrested. Pointing towards any one without evidence is not the right thing. We have never said anything about the players," he said.
Additional Director General, Law and Order Arun Kumar Jha said, "No UP player in under our scanner. We are probing the case related to bookies arrested in the state."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview