Probing links of arrested bookies: UP police
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh police today said they were investigating the links of bookies arrested from Varanasi and Kanpur with a bigger racket but no IPL player from the state was under its scanner.
"As of now we are only investigating cases relating to arrests of some bookies in Varanasi and Kanpur," IG (law and order) R K Vishwakarma said.
Vishwakarma was reacting to reports in a section of the media that some players from UP were under the scanner of the police for their alleged involvement in IPL spot-fixing.
He said that the investigation has pointed their links with a big racket.
"We are not here to malign anyone. We are looking in to forward and backward linkages of the bookies arrested. Pointing towards any one without evidence is not the right thing. We have never said anything about the players," he said.
Additional Director General, Law and Order Arun Kumar Jha said, "No UP player in under our scanner. We are probing the case related to bookies arrested in the state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves