Property of absconding SP MLA Sultan Beg to be attached
Lucknow: The process to attach the property of Samajwadi Party (SP) legislator Sultan Beg, who has been absconding after being booked for allegedly running a truck-lifters` gang, has been initiated, police said Tuesday.
Beg is a legislator from Kanwar Assembly constituency in Bareilly district, some 200 km from state capital Lucknow.
"Following the directives of the district court which on Monday declared the MLA an absconder, we initiated the process for attachment of his movable and immovable property," Bareilly Superintendent of Police (Rural) Vijay Gautam told reporters.
"A non-bailable warrant has been issued against Beg. An FIR was filed against him on January 17 for running the truck-lifters` gang," he said.
To nab Beg, police are carrying out searches in VIP guest houses and prominent hotels in Uttar Pradesh, particularly Lucknow.
"We have been tipped off that the MLA is in Lucknow. So, one of our teams is permanently camping in Lucknow to nab him. As Beg`s official residence is in Lucknow, we have also sought assistance from the Lucknow police to arrest him and two of his relatives who are also absconding after the registration of an FIR against them," said Gautam.
Police on January 17 seized four trucks from a Bareilly farmhouse which Beg owns. During the raid, six men were arrested who alleged that the lawmaker and his son-in-law and brother were running the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof