Property of absconding SP MLA Sultan Beg to be attached
Lucknow: The process to attach the property of Samajwadi Party (SP) legislator Sultan Beg, who has been absconding after being booked for allegedly running a truck-lifters` gang, has been initiated, police said Tuesday.
Beg is a legislator from Kanwar Assembly constituency in Bareilly district, some 200 km from state capital Lucknow.
"Following the directives of the district court which on Monday declared the MLA an absconder, we initiated the process for attachment of his movable and immovable property," Bareilly Superintendent of Police (Rural) Vijay Gautam told reporters.
"A non-bailable warrant has been issued against Beg. An FIR was filed against him on January 17 for running the truck-lifters` gang," he said.
To nab Beg, police are carrying out searches in VIP guest houses and prominent hotels in Uttar Pradesh, particularly Lucknow.
"We have been tipped off that the MLA is in Lucknow. So, one of our teams is permanently camping in Lucknow to nab him. As Beg`s official residence is in Lucknow, we have also sought assistance from the Lucknow police to arrest him and two of his relatives who are also absconding after the registration of an FIR against them," said Gautam.
Police on January 17 seized four trucks from a Bareilly farmhouse which Beg owns. During the raid, six men were arrested who alleged that the lawmaker and his son-in-law and brother were running the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video