Property worth lakhs of rupees gutted in fire in UP
Lakhimpur: Property worth several lakh rupees was Wednesday gutted when a double storey godown cum residential building caught fire in Guljarnagar locality here, police said today.
A huge stock of mobil oil drums, said to be owned by a trader Raju Khan, was kept in the building when the fire broke out, they said.
Khan`s family was safely moved away from the house by the firemen and local residents, they said.
Owing to the huge stock of highly inflammable mobil oil, the fire engulfed the entire building within a few minutes, police said.
Fire tenders from several stations were deployed to douse the flames, they said, adding that it took nearly six hours to bring the fire under control and check it from spreading to other houses in the locality.
Superintendent of Police, Arvind Sen Yadav, who was himself supervising the rescue operations, said, "property worth several lakh rupees was gutted in the fire. The exact reason behind the fire could not be ascertained."
However, he added, "sparking from a running generator was reported to be the immediate cause."
Investigations would be carried out to ascertain if the building owner had obtained proper permission to set up a godown and keep stock of mobil oil in such a large quantity in a residential building located in a densely populated area, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla