Proposed visit of Asaduddin to AMU postponed after BJP protest
Aligarh: The visit of All India Majlis-e- Ittehadul Muslemin (MIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi to AMU, scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed after protests by BJP opposing his visit, the AMU Student`s Union said.
The Students Union has "voluntarily decided to postpone the visit because we do not want to do anything to disturb the communal amity in the state", President of AMU Students Union Shahzad Alam said.
BJP yesterday staged a demonstration opposing visit by Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of making hate speech, or his brother Asaduddin to Aligarh, claiming that it would breach peace in Uttar Pradesh.
Asaduddin Owaisi, Member of Lok Sabha from Hyderabad, had been invited by the AMU Students Union to participate in a seminar on the `History of Aligarh college movement` being organised by the students union today.
Alam said it was "wrongly" alleged by the BJP that Asaduddin is facing charges for delivering hate speech whereas it was his brother Akbaruddin who is allegedly involved in the hate speech case.
The Students` Union leader said the decision to postpone the visit was taken in a meeting last night of District Magistrate Rajiv Routela and members of the students union.
Alam said he is writing a letter to the Chief Minister apprising him that the Students` Union had voluntarily decided to postpone the visit.
"At the same time, we also expect that the state government would take cognisance of the fact that some organisations associated with the BJP have tried to vitiate the atmosphere by preventing AMU teachers, students and the University football team from participating in academic programmes and sporting events in some educational institutions of the city," he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the AMU told PTI, "We were not involved either in the invitation to Owaisi, nor are we associated with any decision leading to the postponement of his visit. The matter rests entirely with the AMU Students` Union and the District authorities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read