Proposed visit of Asaduddin to AMU postponed after BJP protest
Aligarh: The visit of All India Majlis-e- Ittehadul Muslemin (MIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi to AMU, scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed after protests by BJP opposing his visit, the AMU Student`s Union said.
The Students Union has "voluntarily decided to postpone the visit because we do not want to do anything to disturb the communal amity in the state", President of AMU Students Union Shahzad Alam said.
BJP yesterday staged a demonstration opposing visit by Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of making hate speech, or his brother Asaduddin to Aligarh, claiming that it would breach peace in Uttar Pradesh.
Asaduddin Owaisi, Member of Lok Sabha from Hyderabad, had been invited by the AMU Students Union to participate in a seminar on the `History of Aligarh college movement` being organised by the students union today.
Alam said it was "wrongly" alleged by the BJP that Asaduddin is facing charges for delivering hate speech whereas it was his brother Akbaruddin who is allegedly involved in the hate speech case.
The Students` Union leader said the decision to postpone the visit was taken in a meeting last night of District Magistrate Rajiv Routela and members of the students union.
Alam said he is writing a letter to the Chief Minister apprising him that the Students` Union had voluntarily decided to postpone the visit.
"At the same time, we also expect that the state government would take cognisance of the fact that some organisations associated with the BJP have tried to vitiate the atmosphere by preventing AMU teachers, students and the University football team from participating in academic programmes and sporting events in some educational institutions of the city," he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the AMU told PTI, "We were not involved either in the invitation to Owaisi, nor are we associated with any decision leading to the postponement of his visit. The matter rests entirely with the AMU Students` Union and the District authorities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP