Proposed visit of Asaduddin to AMU postponed after BJP protest
Aligarh: The visit of All India Majlis-e- Ittehadul Muslemin (MIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi to AMU, scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed after protests by BJP opposing his visit, the AMU Student`s Union said.
The Students Union has "voluntarily decided to postpone the visit because we do not want to do anything to disturb the communal amity in the state", President of AMU Students Union Shahzad Alam said.
BJP yesterday staged a demonstration opposing visit by Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of making hate speech, or his brother Asaduddin to Aligarh, claiming that it would breach peace in Uttar Pradesh.
Asaduddin Owaisi, Member of Lok Sabha from Hyderabad, had been invited by the AMU Students Union to participate in a seminar on the `History of Aligarh college movement` being organised by the students union today.
Alam said it was "wrongly" alleged by the BJP that Asaduddin is facing charges for delivering hate speech whereas it was his brother Akbaruddin who is allegedly involved in the hate speech case.
The Students` Union leader said the decision to postpone the visit was taken in a meeting last night of District Magistrate Rajiv Routela and members of the students union.
Alam said he is writing a letter to the Chief Minister apprising him that the Students` Union had voluntarily decided to postpone the visit.
"At the same time, we also expect that the state government would take cognisance of the fact that some organisations associated with the BJP have tried to vitiate the atmosphere by preventing AMU teachers, students and the University football team from participating in academic programmes and sporting events in some educational institutions of the city," he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the AMU told PTI, "We were not involved either in the invitation to Owaisi, nor are we associated with any decision leading to the postponement of his visit. The matter rests entirely with the AMU Students` Union and the District authorities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez