Protest over damaged Ambedkar statue
Ghaziabad: Unidentified persons damaged a
statue of Dalit icon B R Ambedkar in Vijaynagar area of the
city early on Monday, triggering protests from locals, police
People gathered in large numbers near the statue and
shouted slogans against a particular community suspected
to have damaged it, according to police.
The incident took place early this morning when dense fog
had covered the area, they said.
Senior officials including DIG Akhil Kumar and District
Magistrate R Ramesh Kumar reached the spot and controlled the
situation, assuring public of installation of a new statue.
On the eve of Republic day, some miscreants tried to
disturb the peace in the area but the situation was controlled
with the help of public, the DIG said.
A case has been registered against unidentified persons
and police have been deployed near the statue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?