Protest rally turns violent in Faizabad
Faizabad: A bandh called by VHP and Shiv Sena to protest against the theft of ancient idols here took a violent turn when some of the protesters resorted to stone-pelting and ransacked some shops.
The activists were demanding closer of all shops and business establishment in the commercial area, police said.
Police had to resort to cane-charging to control the situation and heavy police force was also deployed in the commercial area of the city.
Three ancient idols of Devkaali temple in Faizabad city were stolen yesterday, leading to protests and Sunday`s bandh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez