Protest was held to please BJP: Azam Khan
Rampur: UP Waqf Minister Azam Khan has alleged that the protest held outside his residence in Lucknow was an attempt to please BJP.
"Whatever has happened in Lucknow was an attempt to please the BJP and the perpetrators must had realised creating chaos on the occasion of Juma Alvida Namaaj was condemnable," Khan said here late last night.
Yesterday, over 50 persons of minority community were detained by police as they tried to gherao Khan`s house over the alleged move to appoint "corrupt persons" to the Shia Central Board in the state.
"The protests were held to keep the incident of force feeding of a Rozedar in the background," he claimed.
"I had no inclination to nominate persons of my choice to UP Shia Central Waqf Board and neither I or the state government had any interest with the election of Board`s president. Members are free to elect any person as their president," he said refuting the allegations of the protesters.
Prominent Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad has alleged that the election of Shia Central Waqf Board are scheduled soon and Azam intends to appoint people who intend to loot Waqf properties, to important posts.
“This Board (Shia Board) was constituted during BSP`s regime and I reject all the charges labelled against me and declare that I have done exemplary works for Shia and Sunni communities. I also state that all such charges were a part of conspiracy to misguide the masses," Khan further said.
Khan has urged the agitating Shia Board members to constitute an enquiry committee and find out the truth regarding disposal of Waqf`s properties anywhere.
It was Samajwadi Party that had imposed ban on sale of properties, he said.
The minister hit out at the BJP leaders for their alleged attempts to add political colour to the incident.
"Refrain from creating chaotic conditions to spoil social fabric on sectarian grounds," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next