Protest was held to please BJP: Azam Khan
Rampur: UP Waqf Minister Azam Khan has alleged that the protest held outside his residence in Lucknow was an attempt to please BJP.
"Whatever has happened in Lucknow was an attempt to please the BJP and the perpetrators must had realised creating chaos on the occasion of Juma Alvida Namaaj was condemnable," Khan said here late last night.
Yesterday, over 50 persons of minority community were detained by police as they tried to gherao Khan`s house over the alleged move to appoint "corrupt persons" to the Shia Central Board in the state.
"The protests were held to keep the incident of force feeding of a Rozedar in the background," he claimed.
"I had no inclination to nominate persons of my choice to UP Shia Central Waqf Board and neither I or the state government had any interest with the election of Board`s president. Members are free to elect any person as their president," he said refuting the allegations of the protesters.
Prominent Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad has alleged that the election of Shia Central Waqf Board are scheduled soon and Azam intends to appoint people who intend to loot Waqf properties, to important posts.
“This Board (Shia Board) was constituted during BSP`s regime and I reject all the charges labelled against me and declare that I have done exemplary works for Shia and Sunni communities. I also state that all such charges were a part of conspiracy to misguide the masses," Khan further said.
Khan has urged the agitating Shia Board members to constitute an enquiry committee and find out the truth regarding disposal of Waqf`s properties anywhere.
It was Samajwadi Party that had imposed ban on sale of properties, he said.
The minister hit out at the BJP leaders for their alleged attempts to add political colour to the incident.
"Refrain from creating chaotic conditions to spoil social fabric on sectarian grounds," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview